Cadillac ELR Forum

It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cadillac ELR vs Tesla Model S
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:32 pm 

When the ELR coupe gets here, it will bring GM closer to the Model S, but GM has said they aren't interested in luxury electric vehicles.

GM Vice President for Global Product Programs Doug Parks said that GM wants to improve performance and lower the costs of the Volt and future electric vehicle offerings - "We're trying to put more stress on getting this right for the lower-priced vehicles".

Volt and Model S sales are almost the same so far in 2013, but Parks said GM hasn't simplified the Volt's value message enough for people to understand.

Parks said GM likely won't stop at the Cadillac ELR and would look at doing other EVs in the $100,000 plus price range. "We may do a couple of cars up there too because that's a great place to be and we're a full-line manufacturer," he said.

Post subject: Re: Cadillac ELR vs Tesla Model S
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:20 am 
Site Admin

General Motors CEO Dan Akerson said this, which is along the same lines:

Quote:
But I do think when the ELR comes out late this year, early next — it’s certainly in the same postal code as Tesla, but now we’re going to move up.

I think the 2014 Cadillac ELR will be a great vehicle, but I don't think it competes with the Tesla Model S. The ELR is a plug-in hybrid, and the other is a pure electric. Totally different market.

What do you think? Take a moment to join the Cadillac ELR forum and let us know your thoughts!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:41 am 

I find it interesting that on the Cadillac ELR website, they have a 'competitive comparison' page and on it, they compare the 2014 ELR Coupe, the 2013 Tesla Model S, and the 2014 BMW 4 Series.

Apparently those are the vehicles that Cadillac wants to compete with?

http://www.cadillac.com/coupes/2014-elr-coupe/competitive-compare.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:52 pm 

Another thought about cross shopping the ELR is that many Cadillac buyers would be unlikely to consider the Volt, so the ELR fills the slot nicely.