Cadillac ELR Forum

It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cadillac ELR review by Volt driver
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:48 am 

There's a pretty thorough review on CleanTechnica by a Volt driver/owner. It's interesting to get the comparison between the two vehicles.
Overall, he liked the ELR, but main comments were that it felt heavier, had heavier doors etc than the Volt. The extra power made up for it as he said the performance was around the same, or a little better than the Volt.

Quote:
The doors were typical of this class of car – that is to say a bit too big, and heavy. Hardly a deal breaker, but understand that’s what you are getting yourself into…think more 6 series BMW and less two door Miata. As a frameless door, the windows do the little pop down a 1/4 inch and pop back up when you open and close the door (for a tight seal).

Quote:
It is definitely quiet, and appeared to be a whole notch above the Volt in this area – maybe a notch and a half (how’s that for being scientific). Unfortunately, I drove my wife’s SUV to the test and wasn’t able to 100% A/B against the Volt when I left.

Quote:
I did some accelerating (foot to the floor) on the last two roads and swapped lanes a few times to try and get a feel for the handling. My last impression after this (limited test) was the same as the first. This is a heavier luxury car as opposed to a more tossable fun coupe. Steering was light – since I had drive the wife’s SUV which is a heavier than the Volt it might have seemed lighter than it was, but I think it is fair to say it was comparable to the Volt. The acceleration was modest and didn’t really inspire me to any kind of hooliganism. Indeed, because of the weight, it probably inspired a bit less. Instead, I was more inspired to simply enjoy a nice luxury coupe.

Quote:
Ultimately, the ELR is a nice car and we all know electric offers a “luxury” driving experience. In 10 years, we’ll see a ton of cars with electric drive trains and they’ll all have that benefit. Today, however, there are a handful and none are as luxurious as this ride.

Read the full Cadillac ELR Forum drive review here: http://cleantechnica.com/2014/01/14/2-d ... t-drivers/

Post subject: Re: Cadillac ELR review by Volt driver
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:23 am 

The second review quoted on CleanTechnica is mine, which you can already find on this forum at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=183

The one posted on this forum is more current than the one on CleanTechnica.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:23 pm 

Yes, thanks for that! I read your review, very good. Since you said the ELR was nice but not worth the price, in your opinion, what would be a good price point for the Cadillac ELR?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:26 pm 

I'd like to lease the ELR ($75,995) with Luxury Package ($1,695), Adaptive Cruise Control ($1,995), and CD player ($300).

If Cadillac can get me a 39-month (or 48-month) lease with 12,000 miles annually for $825/mo with $3,000 down, I'll pull the trigger. However, others might be just as happy with the $925/mo ($5,000 down) 10k-annual miles lease currently being offered for that build.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:24 am 

I, too, haven't decided yet. I'm partial to waiting a few months, and see how sales are. If they're slow, then I will wait for a price drop on the ELR. If there are lots of units being sold, then a price drop is less likely so I may take the plunge.