Cadillac ELR Forum

It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is the ELR missing that other Cadillacs have?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:54 pm 

I'll start us off with these two items:

1) Siri Eyes Free. This is available in the 2014 CTS, 2015 ATS, and 2015 XTS (and 2014 Chevy Volt, Sonic, Spark, Camaro, Cruze, Equinox, Malibu, and SS).

2) Text Messaging. This is available in the same vehicles as Siri Eyes Free and various Cadillac models that don't have it.

So one of the most expensive, exclusive vehicles in the GM lineup doesn't have the advanced tech available in a $16,840 Chevy Spark.

Post subject: Re: What is the ELR missing that other Cadillacs have?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:53 pm 

Blastphemy, you make it sound like there are more things you'll add to the list? Or are you just leaving the list open-ended for others? :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:58 pm 

I'll add them as I find them. Anyone else who finds discrepancies is obviously welcome to post here too.

Here are some more:

3) Ventilated (Cooled) Front Seats

4) Magnetic Ride Control

5) Head's-up Display

6) Ultraview Sunroof

7) Rear Seat Entertainment System (ha ha ha ha!!! as if....gotta have a back seat for that! lol.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 am 

How about brake lights coming on when using high level regen?

Or what about an internet connection like the Outlander PHEV has...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:48 am 

Since I don't have an ELR... yet... does the ELR have power folding mirrors when you park?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:54 am 

elrfan wrote:
The ELR does turn on the brake lights when the car slows more than a certain amount of Gs, both with regen-on-demand and when in 'L'.

christof wrote:
Since I don't have an ELR... yet... does the ELR have power folding mirrors when you park?
No, the ELR's side mirrors do not have a power-folding mechanism.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:52 pm 

Update on using Siri in the ELR. There's a three-step process for accessing Siri (on an iPhone 4/5 with iOS 6/7) in the ELR. First, press the Home button. Second, press the Phone icon. Third, press the "Start" button and wait for the 'ding' that lets you know Siri is ready. At that point, you can finally talk to Siri and get responses.

The other way to activate Siri through the Bluetooth (or USB?) connection is to unlock the iPhone with your password, and then hold the home button until you hear the 'ding' that lets you know Siri is ready.

But, of course, it's not safe to swipe and type in a password on your phone while driving, so that defeats the whole "eyes free" concept! So either you're looking at the center stack to find the Home button, then looking at the nav screen to find the Phone icon and then the Start button; or you're looking at your phone to unlock it. Either way, the ELR's implementation of Siri is decidedly not "eyes free"! But I must concede that Siri does indeed work through the ELR's C.U.E. system; it's just poorly executed.

And text messaging through Siri (as shown in the Equinox commercial) works too, but only after pressing the Home button, pressing the Phone icon, pressing the Start button, and waiting for the 'ding'.

All Cadillac would need to do is reprogram the steering wheel Talk button so that it accesses Siri after being held for a couple of seconds (instead of just being pressed to access the C.U.E. voice commands). Let's hope Cadillac makes this simple adjustment to C.U.E. so that whiners like me will stop complaining!

BTW, guess what's not in the general C.U.E. Infotainment Manual, ELR Owners Manual, or ELR Personalization Guide? Yup, the instructions above that I just wrote! Cadillac really dropped the ball on writing adequate documentation for the ELR. Heck, the ELR doesn't even come with a C.U.E. Infotainment manual - you have to find the PDF online to learn all about it, and it's a generic manual, so about a third of the stuff doesn't even apply to the ELR, and there are items like this Siri access that are missing completely.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:23 am 

Blastphemy wrote:
elrfan wrote:
The ELR does turn on the brake lights when the car slows more than a certain amount of Gs, both with regen-on-demand and when in 'L'.

Glad to hear that! I hope other plug-in vehicles follow their lead.